This policy describes the way in which the National Rural Health Alliance (The Alliance) manages personal information.
Collection and use of personal information
The Alliance collects and administers a range of personal information for our key purposes, including:
- determining the key issues affecting health of the people in rural and remote areas;
- providing related support and advice to governments, the public, educational and research institutions and other bodies; and
- promoting good health and wellbeing in rural and remote Australia.
We collect a range of personal information from members and non-members directly (which may include sensitive information with your consent) to enable us to manage membership needs, administer grants and scholarship programs, conduct events and provide information about rural and remote health and other related products and services in order to promote the health interests of the 7 million people of rural and remote Australia, according to the objects of our Constitution.
Disclosure (sharing) of personal information
The Alliance recognises the essential right of individuals to have their information administered in ways which they would reasonably expect – protected on one hand, and made accessible to them on the other. These privacy values are reflected in and supported by our core values and philosophies. As a guiding principle, we don’t disclose information about you unless you agree or would expect us to. You have a right to ask for access to the personal information we hold about you and ask us to correct any wrong information. You also have the right to opt-out of receiving any marketing or other communications from us at any time.
The Alliance will:
- Collect only information which is directly relevant and necessary to enable us to carry out our key organisational functions and responsibilities;
- Ensure that people are informed as to why we are collecting the personal information and how we administer the information gathered;
- Use and disclose personal information only for the functions and activities of the Alliance for which the information was provided, or for a directly related purpose;
- Obtain consent from the individual concerned before disclosing personal information for a reason other than the one for which it was collected;
- Provide people, on request, with access to the personal information that is held about them, and respect their right to seek its correction;
- Provide the option for an individual to withhold their name or use a pseudonym when dealing with the Alliance;
- Store personal information securely, protecting it from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and against misuse and loss;
- Review personal information regularly to ensure that it is accurate and up to date and confidentially destroy information that is no longer required.