The Australian Parliament’s Northern Australia Committee has commenced an inquiry into the development of Northern Australia. The Committee has been tasked with the important role of helping to define the future of Australia’s North—a region vital to the economic future of the nation.
The Alliance will be making a submission and your views on the issue are welcome.
The Committee will consider policies for developing the parts of Australia which lie north of the Tropic of Capricorn, spanning Western Australia, Northern Territory and Queensland, and in doing so:
• examine the potential for development of the region’s mineral, energy, agricultural, tourism, defence and other industries;
- enhance trade and other investment links with the Asia-Pacific;
- establish a conducive regulatory, taxation and economic environment;
- address impediments to growth; and
- set conditions for private investment and innovation;
• identify the critical economic and social infrastructure needed to support the long term growth of the region, and ways to support planning and investment in that infrastructure.
The Committee will also present to the Parliament its recommendation for a white paper which would detail government action needed to be taken to implement the committee’s recommendations, setting out how the recommendations were to be implemented, by which government entity they were to be implemented, a timetable for implementation and how and when any government funding would be sourced.
Visit www.aph.gov.au for further details:
Parliamentary Business > Committees > Northern Australia (Select Committee)